Friday, June 02, 2006

Con Foos Ed

The rainy season of India has begun. The moonsoons have certainly come. I'm sitting in a cyber cafe right off one of the major roads in Baroda---which has literally turned into a small murky river.

This has been quite an eventful week. If I can say one definitive thing about India it's that the food here is amazing. The home cooking of the family I'm staying with is simply delicious. And, though I've yet to try it, the modified vegetarian menu of McDonalds looks GREAT. I'm dying to try the "Veg Pizza Puff": I guess it's somewhat analagous to a Hot Pocket.

I think I'm here to help. Strangely, there are too many and no opportunities at the same time.

The Heart Clinic at which I'm supposed to be interning is not really the best vehicle for me to serve. That is, the Baroda Heart Clinic (BHC) is essentially a healthcare institution for the well-off in India. After spending a week at the hospital, I've realized there is very little for me to do there. Without some kind of healthcare degree (M.D., nutrition, etc.), I am virtually useless. I can't even be the waterboy---because God knows, if India isn't short on anything, it's manpower.

So this past week, I've been finding my footing. Where to go? What to do? Where to apply? I've submitted about eight applications to several teaching programs based in eastern India. One of those, has already accepted me. The problem is: the program starts in three days.

I decided on the plane ride here that I wanted to make a mess. Take risks. Deal with the consequences. Learn. Take another risk.

I suppose I could just join this program. That would mean leaving Vadodara for some small village in Rajasthan (the state north of Gujarat) in a couple of days. It would also mean leaving home-cooked meals and my own bedroom. But this is what I wanted! I wanted to live in a village and now I can! So, I am, in fact, very excited and hope this possibility materializes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home