Sunday, May 28, 2006

Showers and Haircuts

India really agrees with me. Aside from having a little bit of a cold, these first two days in India have been nothing short of great.

But, I must point out in particular the bathing. I thought that I was going to have some trouble adjusting to Eastern-style bathing. For those of you who are unfamiliar, in the bathing room there is a faucet and a bucket. That's it. No overhead showerhead. It's much more environmentally friendly. However, coming from the West where you are in a separated stall with constant running water, this style of bathing is signifcantly different.

I have to say that it was a total pleasure though. The Eastern style of bathing is so much more tactile. You have to use your hands four times as much because you don't have the running water hitting your body (doing much of the "bathing" for you). And, consequently, it is much more of a sensual experience. There is so much more relationship-building with your body: which is a weird thing to say but I'm not sure how else to articulate it. There is also something so natural about bathing from a basin filled with water. It's how you would bathe in a lake or something. (Though I guess showering in the West is how you would bathe under a waterfall...or something).

So I'm already having sensual experiences rubbing soap all over my body. Who knows where this trip is going to take me?

Today, I went to get my haircut. For those who don't know me, I am THE most particular person I know about getting my hair cut. I am very hesitant to let anyone cut my hair for fear it will be too short or cut in the wrong shape. Well, I went into this small barber shop that was probably the size of a freshman dorm room. I sat down to wait my turn: already prepared to have a terrible haircut. "No one is going to judge me here. My hair can always grow back," I reassured myself.

The barber showed me to my chair and asked me to remove my glasses. (Now, if you don't have myopia this is an experience that you could never understand. When a barber askes me to remove my glasses it's like going under anesthesia. I can't really see anything and all of the power is in his hands.) So I removed my glasses. And he PARTED my hair and began to cut. So, there it was. I was going to have a bowl cut with a side part. No, this was awesome. Even underprivilaged kids in Indian slums would laugh at me. I would BECOME an underprivilaged kid in an Indian slum with this haircut. Great.

Cut Cut Cut. And then all of a sudden the oddest thing. He got a giant bottle of rose colored oil and pour some in his palm. He rubbed his hands together and worked it into my scalp. "Great," I thought. "Now he's treating me for dry scalp. Now he and everyone else in this stupid barber shop thinks I don't take care of my scalp. I fu%$ing take care of my scalp." But now he was rubbing really hard. And it had been a couple of minutes. He was palming my head like an NBA player would a basketball. Rub Rub Rub.

And then down to my neck: the warm oil assisting his rough hands. The barber, listening to the comedian on the TV set, giggled to himself.

Wait. Was this a MASSAGE? Yes, it was. He continued to rub my back and my arms and my hands. For 25 minutes. Oh yes, 25 minutes. "Jo, eh bho lal-lal thagyo chaii," said the barber. "Senseeteeve skin." He had said that my neck and arms and face had turned red from the massage. Apparently I have "senseeteeve skin."

So finally, after this unbelievable massage, I'm finally allowed to put my glasses back on. My hair looked GREAT. Are you kidding me? I guess these people know Indian hair or something. I politely smiled and pulled out my wallet. He said, "Ninety."

Ninety. Ninety rupees? That's two dollars. He spent more than half an hour on me. I gave him 90 and tipped him 100. When I get my checks cashed and go to get my haircut again I'll tip him 200. That service in America would have easily costed $50-$100 depending on where you are.

I want to get my haircut everyday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Janicz said...

Hey!

This is the first blog I came to after a random click - and its JUST what Im looking for!

In about half a year Im going to India and stories like this are of great help. Keep the blog updated and good luck on your trip!

Tell us maybe why your in India?

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home