Friday, May 26, 2006

Arrival in India

I'm sitting here in the "Skyber Cafe" at Mumbai's domestic airport (a brief but sweaty bus ride away from the more-or-less solid-marble international airport). I think I see people eating microwaved pizza. The sign over the monitor says 0-60 MINUTES RS 60/-. Sixty rupees is the rough equivalent to a $1.20. Compare that to say, London, where I spent a pound for every 10 minutes online. (1 pound being roughly 2 dollars). So, initial investigations of India prove that London is 12 times more expensive than India. More on that soon.

I have been in transit for roughly 24 hours at this point. It's 1:39PM here and the heat is expectedly intolerable (about 94 degrees Farenheit with 52% humidity). But I'm tolerating it. I'm realizing now, that some of the projects that I want to be involved with are related to outdoors construction. I think I'd die of heat stroke if I tried to tie a shoelace outside; I don't know if I can manage heavy lifting. But, then again, I've never been much of a laborer. (It's tough to distinguish when I'm joking online.)

I've already begun making friends with random aunties: carrying their bags from them, wishing their recently high-school graduated children good luck. (I figure in India, EVERYONE is my auntie.) Unfortunately, I haven't encountered too many noteworthy people/things yet. But as soon as I do, I will share.

What I do know is that I'm glad to be here. I already find myself forgetting that I left and then remembering that I did, and subsequently having the thought "WHY am I here?" Leaving behind the people I love so much seems stupid or unnecessary at thost times. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that I'm doing exactly what I want to be doing. It's not often that anyone get's to say that.

OH! One really funny thing DID happen. You know that cloud from Super Mario? The one that Koopa-Troopa (really?...) flew in, while it flung crap at you? Well... "Lakitu" (apparently it's name is "Lakitu") or whatever was on my flight to London. I'm not kidding. Seriously though, this woman looked EXACTLY like that cloud. And, she had fifteen men carrying HUNDREDS of Vuitton valises. I've attached a picture:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home